Pesto Zucchini Noodles with Grilled Chicken
This is such a fresh and easy meal. It tastes great in the summertime and you can cook it easily without heating up your kitchen. It’s also a delicious fall comfort food. Zucchini is in season from mid-summer through early fall so this is a perfect recipe to use if you’re shopping at farmers markets. Serves 4. Takes 20-30 minutes to make.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast(s)
- Mexican Seasoning by Frontier Co-op
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium large zucchini and/or yellow squash
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Easy Dairy-Free Basil Pesto
- Several fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Lightly coat chicken breasts in olive oil. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breasts with Mexican seasoning.
- Grill chicken breasts until internal temp is 165-175
- While chicken is cooking make the pesto and slice the tomatoes
- Make the zucchini noodles as well: Use a spiralizer (this is one of my TOP 5 FAVORITE kitchen toys) to make zucchini noodles with the zucchini. **Note: If you don't have a spiralizer, you can use the grater setting on a food processor or just chop the zucchini. The flavor will be the same so don't ignore this recipe just because you don't have a spiralizer. :)
- Cook the zucchini noodles just lightly
- Option 1: Sauté the zucchini noodles with a little olive oil & garlic
- Option 2: Steam noodles for just 2-5 minutes (you don’t want them mushy)
- When noodles are just barely cooked and if they are releasing moisture, remove them to a colander placed over a bowl to drain.
- Slice or cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Toss zucchini noodles with pesto: Place the zucchini noodles in a serving bowl and toss with basil pesto.
- Serve the zucchini noodles in bowls topped with chicken, tomatoes, and sliced fresh basil leaves.
Goodies In this Recipe
Basil-To list a few, basil is an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, cancer-fighter, pain-reducer, diabetes-preventer, detoxifier, stress-hormone reducer and immune-booster.
Zucchini-Zucchini is an excellent food for weight loss because of it’s high fiber and water content which help you feel full and stay full longer. The high amounts of vitamin folate and magnesium notably reduces the risks of high blood pressure, strokes and heart attacks. Zucchini also helps with eye health because it contains phytonutrients such as lutein, Beta-carotene. They are chock full of antioxidants which help slow the aging process and zucchini’s high levels of vitamin-k, magnesium and calcium help with teeth and bone health. It’s also a great food to have during pregnancy because it’s folic-acid levels help reduce the chances of congenital birth defects and increase red-blood cells which helps with energy for the mama and nutrients for the baby.